By Sam Gnerre
Publication Date: 2026-02-02 15:00:00
It wasn’t always so.
The earliest mention of the address in the Daily Breeze is in a 1935 advertisement as the location of Barney’s auto repair shop. In September 1954, Joe Provencio, owner of the Beacon Cafe at Rosecrans Avenue and The Strand, applied for a liquor license for Cisco’s restaurant using that address.
As did his Beacon Cafe, the new eatery offered Mexican cuisine. In addition to “Specializing in Finest Spanish Food,” per a June 1955 ad, it also featured Latin and Spanish-themed musical entertainment.
Provencio added on to the increasingly popular restaurant in 1957. In February 1960, he asked for and was granted a dance permit for the night spot, in time for a full-on “Cinco…

