Windows 11 KB5014697 is a major update for the operating system with some new features. This update brings support for Windows Spotlight and improvements to Windows Widgets and more. KB5014697 offline installers are also available for download from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
KB5014697 is a security update that will eventually be installed automatically on devices where the update has been paused for a period of time. Of course, you can make changes to Windows settings and delay the update by a week or two, but delaying security updates is generally not a good idea.
This update is being released as part of the Windows 11 June 2022 Update and includes several new additions. For example, Microsoft is bringing Windows Spotlight to the desktop and it will be enabled by default on new systems as the company wants to see if this configuration is being used over the existing personalization options.
Windows Spotlight has been around in Windows for a while, and it’s one of the best ways to personalize the look and feel of the operating system. Spotlight pulls wallpapers from Microsoft’s Bing and that same feature has now evolved to include the desktop and now the company is bringing the feature to everyone.
Microsoft wants to see how it can continue to improve the personalization experience on Windows 11, and you can expect more Spotlight integration improvements in the coming days. It’s also worth noting that Microsoft has enabled support for 4K wallpapers on the desktop.
Again, the Windows Spotlight feature is still in its infancy and isn’t perfect or suitable for all users. Spotlight for desktop is a nice idea though, and really something that might come in handy, especially as the number of users willing to try high-quality wallpapers is growing rapidly.
To enable this feature, open Settings > Personalization > Background > Personalize your background. Choose Windows Spotlight.
If you check for Windows 11 updates, you will see the following patch:
2022-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5014697)
Download links for Windows 11 KB5014697
Direct download links for Windows 11 KB5014697: 64-bit.
You can open the link above and visit Microsoft’s update catalog directly. You can click the “Download” button next to the version of Windows 11 that is compatible with your system.
When you’re done, click the .msu link to start the download.
Windows 11 KB5014697 (Build 22000.739) Critical Changelog
Windows 11 Build 22000.739 also includes the following fixes and improvements:
- Microsoft is introducing a new Family Safety review experience for a child account.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where the operating system is unable to maintain its display brightness mode after you change the display mode.
- Microsoft fixed an issue affecting the IE mode window border.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where Internet shortcuts might not update.
- Microsoft fixed an issue that causes the Input Method Editor (IME) to discard a character if you type the character while IME is in use.
- Fixed a bug where Windows widgets could disappear or appear on the wrong monitor when hovering over the widgets icon.
- Microsoft is adding a new animation to the Widgets icon that appears when you click or tap the icon.
- Microsoft fixed an issue affecting the appearance of the default Widgets icon.
- Microsoft fixed an issue resulting in blurry app icons in search results.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where copying files is slower than usual.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where when you select the Start menu and start typing, typing in the Windows search box isn’t in focus.