Sony first unveiled its new commercial drone in January 2021, but with little information and only a handful of pictures. We suspected it was designed for Sony Alpha mirrorless cameras and this has now been confirmed by recent Sony announcements – along with many more details on features, pricing and availability.
The Sony Airpeak S1 (ARS-S1) was designed as a commercial drone for professional users and is a huge step up from the average consumer camera drone. Sony hasn’t announced its payload capacity yet, but when it goes on sale in September 2021, the price will be 1,100,000 yen including tax, which is about $ 10,000. This is in the same width as other commercial drones, but much more than, for example, the DJI Matrice 600 Pro.
Main features of the Sony Airpeak S1
• Proprietary engine, Propeller, controls and sensors, with obstacle detection
• AirPeak flight Remote control for controlling the aircraft, camera and gimbal, with live view, iOS and iPadOS compatible
• Maximum speed 90km / h
• Maximum angular velocity 180 ° / s
• Maximum angle of inclination 55 °
• Air resistance of up to 20m / s
• 17 inch propeller and brushless motor with ESC (Electric Speed Controller)
• Stereo cameras at 5 locations (front, back, left, right, bottom) with Sony Vision Sensing Processor for a stable flight even with impaired or impaired GNSS reception
• Integrated visual and sensor information including IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit), direction, air pressure, infrared range.
• Designed for A7S series, FX3, A7R and A9 series cameras and the Sony A1.
• Automatic flight missions via the web-based AirPeak Base app.
• AirPeak Plus cloud service and AirPeak Protect Plan to cover accidental damage.
Sony AirPeak S1 price and availability
Sony has cited September 2021 as the date the AirPeak S1 will be available, and while the official press release calls it an “open price,” it is also estimated to be priced at 1,100,000 yen, or about $ 10,000.