While the Google Play Store is awash with notable video calling apps, many want to use FaceTime on Android to keep in touch with their friends who own an iPhone. In terms of both top-notch features and security, Apple’s video calling app is one of the best in the business. Unfortunately, Apple had limited FaceTime to the Apple ecosystem until iOS 15 and macOS 12 Monterey. But now FaceTime is making its way to Android and Windows. The sudden change of heart could be due to strong demand for competing services, including Zooming and Google Meet last year. Well, if you don’t own an iPhone and want to try Apple’s video calling service, let’s see how to set up and use FaceTime on Android!
How to Use FaceTime on Your Android Device in 2021
Before we dive into the steps on how to use FaceTime on Android, let’s first answer a few key questions. Can you install FaceTime on Android? Can you share your screen in FaceTime calls on Android? We have answered all of these questions in this article. So dive in!
How does Apple’s FaceTime work on Android?
It’s no secret that Apple wants to tie its famous apps and services to its closed ecosystem. Even when the Cupertino giant introduces its services on other platforms, it repeatedly fails to make severe restrictions – for better or for worse. And FaceTime’s blueprint for Android is no different.
- That brings us to the first question. Can you install the Facetime app on Android? Well, Apple hasn’t launched a FaceTime app for Android yet. Instead, Android users can only join FaceTime calls through a link. So if you don’t get a link from an iPhone user, you won’t be able to join the party.
- Second, you can’t generate a FaceTime meeting invite link on an Android device. That means you have to ask your friend (who has an iPhone, iPad, or Mac) to create a FaceTime meeting link and share it with you.
- And third, FaceTime only supports Safari and Google Chrome. Hence, you need to open the FaceTime link in Chrome to start the call. After tapping the link, you’ll need to add your name and then wait for your iDevice friend (or whoever created the link) to let you in.
- Fourth, the answer to whether you can screen share on FaceTime calls on Android is no. Users can only Screen sharing on FaceTime in iOS 15. You can read our linked guide to see how it works.
Create a FaceTime call link on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac
As discussed above, your friend who owns an Apple device must first create a FaceTime call link and share it with you. So let’s see how it’s done!
- To get started, start the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad with iOS 15 or Mac with macOS Monterey.
2. Now tap on the “create link“To generate a link for the FaceTime meeting.
3. Then tap the “The information” next to the FaceTime link.
4. Next, select “Share a link”From the pop-up menu in iOS 15. On your Mac, click the Share button.
5. Then select the preferred method to share the meeting link with your friend who has an Android device. You can Submit the meeting link by email, Whatsapp, delivery boy, Apple News, and more. You also have the option of copying the link.
Participate in a FaceTime call from your Android device
Once you’ve got the meeting link on your Android device, it’s easy to join the FaceTime call. Note that FaceTime only supports Google Chrome on Android devices. Make sure you open the meeting link in the Chrome browser and follow these steps:
- Tap the FaceTime link. After that, enter your name and press “Continue“Button.
3. Next you will get a pop-up that says: “Facetime.apple.com would like to use your camera and microphone.” Tap on enable to assign the necessary authorizations.
4. Now you are only one step away from joining a Facetime video call between iPhone and Android Equipment. Tap the green “To join”Button in the upper right corner.
6. Now you should see “Waiting for admission” at the bottom of the screen. You can join the FaceTime call as soon as your iOS friend approves your request to join.
7. If you ever want to end the call, tap “leaving”Button in the upper right corner.
Add the FaceTime app icon to the Android home screen
For quick access, you can add the FaceTime link to your Android device’s home screen. So if you ever get a FaceTime meeting link, be sure to turn it into a super handy home screen icon that you can use to join the call with a quick tap. Yes, it saves you from digging into the app that gave you the link over and over again!
Interestingly, the invitation link for FaceTime meetings stays active for several days. So you can use the same invitation link to join a meeting multiple times. Although we’re not sure how many days a FaceTime meeting link will expire, we could Use a 15-day-old FaceTime link to connect your iPhone to Android during our test. I know it sounds like a privacy nightmare, but no one can join the meeting until the host lets them in.
So let’s see how you can add the FaceTime app shortcut to your Android home screen. Just follow the steps below:
1. Open the FaceTime Link in the Chrome browser on your Android device. Then tap the vertical three-dot menu icon in the top right corner of the screen. Then select the “Add to home screen”Option from the menu.
2. Then tap on “Add“In the popup menu to confirm the action. Now go to the home screen and the shortcut of the FaceTime app will be waiting for you.
While a home screen icon can’t replace a full FaceTime app for Android, it’s a more convenient way to join a call, especially if you talk to your friends or coworkers regularly.
Make FaceTime calls on your Android device
Here’s how you can join a FaceTime call from your Android device. While it would be better if there was a full-fledged FaceTime web app that lets you do more than just join a meeting, this is a huge baby step from Apple. The company is finally enabling Android and Windows users to FaceTime with Apple device owners. What do you think of this big move? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.