After a three year warning is the end of Adobe Flash officially happened. For this reason, Adobe strongly recommends that users uninstall it from their computers immediately. Read on for how to completely remove Adobe Flash from your Mac.
Adobe officially ended support for Flash on January 1, 2021. In just under two weeks, Adobe will block all Flash content from working in Flash Player.
Adobe strongly recommends that all users uninstall Flash Player immediately to protect their systems. Some users may still see reminders from Adobe to uninstall Flash Player from their system.
This is why Adobe says it’s important to remove it: “Uninstalling Flash Player will help protect your system as Adobe does not intend to release Flash Player updates or security patches after the EOL date.” Essentially, this is to help users know if flash updates are coming in the future, are malicious, and should be avoided.
Note that you don’t want to simply remove Adobe Flash from the settings area in System Preferences. Here’s how to completely uninstall it from your Mac.
How to Remove Adobe Flash from Your Mac Completely
Disabling Flash on your Mac
- If you are privacy conscious, go to System Preferences> Flash Player (shown below) first.
- In the top right, click the Advanced tab
- Select Deactivate this computer …
Completely remove Adobe Flash
- Open a Finder window and choose Applications. Now open Utilities (or search for the Adobe Flash Player Install Manager app).
- Open the Adobe Flash Player Installation Manager and click Uninstall
- You will receive a confirmation when it has been successfully removed
- You can use a third party app like Clean My Mac or Sensei to scan for and remove strange Flash files. For me, however, the official Adobe Flash uninstaller removed everything
At the end of the process, Safari will also restart with Adobe displaying a thank you message:
You can read more about it Adobe Flash Lifetime in this support document.
FTC: We Use Income Earning Auto Affiliate Links. More.