The first iOS 14.5 beta brings a number of new features with it, but there is also a nice surprise hidden in the version for Spotify users. Follow the instructions to make Spotify the default for iPhone when using Siri. We’ll also explain how to install the iOS 14.5 Free Public Beta.
The most notable new feature available with iOS 14.5’s Initial Developer and Public Beta is support for Apple Watch to unlock the iPhone while wearing a mask. Another feature, however, went under the radar until some users on Reddit noticed it is the option to do so Set Spotify as the iPhone default when using Siri.
We’ve already seen support for Siri to play music when commands are used as “Play Cage the Elephant on Spotify”. However, this latest functionality means you don’t have to specify Spotify (or any other service) instead of Apple Music.
For a tutorial on the free public beta of iOS 14.5, see our walkthrough:
Oddly enough, under Settings> Music (or Settings> Spotify) there isn’t an option to set it as the iOS default We saw with mail and browser Apps. We’ll have to see if Apple will add such a switch for the default music app in future beta or public releases.
The consistency for Siri, which uses a third-party music service as the iOS standard, seems to be a bit flawed in the first beta of iOS 14.5 for now. So think of YMMV.
How to Make Spotify the Default for iPhone with iOS 14.5 Beta
- Make sure you are running the iOS 14.5 beta (public or dev) on your iPhone or iPad
- Ask Siri to play an artist / song / album
- Look for a new popup to choose which service to use
- Tap Yes to allow Siri to access data for Spotify (or another app).
- Your music should start playing
- If you’re at work, future requests to play music through Siri should use Spotify or whatever service you choose, but it’s still buggy and inconsistent for some so your mileage may vary
Take a closer look at 9to5Mac’s handy guide from Jeff Benjamin here:
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We Use Income Earning Auto Affiliate Links. More.